Why Moving from PeopleSoft HCM to Oracle HCM Cloud is the Right Move for Your Organization
PeopleSoft HCM vs. Oracle HCM Cloud
Moving from PeopleSoft HCM (on-premise) to Oracle HCM Cloud carries many benefits, with the most evident being the lower total cost of ownership and the ease of staying current on technology, features and functionality. There are numerous articles written discussing these benefits.
Negative Aspects of PeopleSoft HCM (On-Premise):
- Significantly higher total cost of ownership.
- Difficult to stay current with the latest technology and application features and functionality.
- Hardware must be purchased and maintained.
- The customer has the responsibility of maintenance on the system, such as applying security and technical patches, maintaining the operating system and applying application updates and fixes.
- Customers must acquire and train their own IT staff and often hire outside IT resources.
Positive Aspect of Oracle HCM Cloud:
- Significantly lower total cost of ownership.
- All maintenance on the system is done by the vendor (Oracle).
- Emerging technologies engineered into Apps.
- Customers stay up-to-date with quarterly updates with the latest feature improvements and technology advancements.
- Standardization and optimization of business processes.
- Greater flexibility and agility as the business scales and adapts to change.
- Institutions can quickly gain value from the latest innovations in technology such as artificial intelligence and conversational interfaces through continuous, automatic updates that help streamline and automate business processes.
- Very configurable, allowing the elimination of customizations.
Payroll is generally the most complex of all products, as all other modules feed into it, with the final objective of having an accurately calculated payroll and accurate employee payments, balances and reporting.
From the setting up earnings and deductions to the administration of absences, garnishments, federal and state income taxes, processing payroll, check reversals, to integrating with HCM, Time and Labor and General Ledger, it is very important these tasks and business processes are streamlined and as simplified as possible. The “Look and Feel” of the functionality and the overall user experience are also very important. This is where Oracle HCM Cloud Payroll is superior.
PeopleSoft Fixes and Updates: Not isolated to just the payroll product is the ongoing and exhaustive effort required to apply bug fixes, updates and enhancements via PeopleSoft Update Manager, whether it be through selective adoption or opting to stay current. The application of Tax Updates also requires rigorous testing with each and every new tax update. While PeopleSoft does a good job at keeping up with these updates, there are inevitably many bugs/fixes to be applied with each application update.
If you have worked in PeopleSoft Payroll, then the “Hot Topics” page in My Oracle Support is something you should be very familiar with. Keeping up with all of these fixes and updates is very difficult. With Oracle HCM Cloud Global Payroll, all of this application maintenance is performed by the vendor.
Oracle HCM Cloud Global Payroll simplifies a complex payroll application through scalability, flexibility, compliance, efficiency and maintenance.
PeopleSoft HCM HR, Payroll and Technical Product Areas that Create the Most Headaches for Customers?
These PeopleSoft HCM HR, Payroll and Technical Product Areas have shown to consistently produce the largest number of service requests logged by customers. Due to the complexity within these areas, it is common that the cause of these issues are due to user error, improper system configuration or customizations.
- Maintenance / Upgrades / PeopleSoft Update Manager / Tax Updates / Critical Patch Updates
- System Performance
- Component Interface / Peoplecode
- Integrations / Integration Broker/Messaging
- Job Board Integration / Winword Letter Generation
- Outlook Integration
- Resume Processing
- Search Framework
- Security Related
- Workflow, Approval Workflow, Delegation
- Workflow / eCompensation,eDevelopment,ePerformance,eProfile
- Forms and Approval Builder
- Company Directory / Org Chart Viewer
- Compensation / Total Compensation / Total Rewards
- Position Management
- Succession Planning / Career Planning
- Manage Hires
- Template-Based Hires
- Total Rewards
- Manage Applicant
- Manage Hires
Should your company move from PeopleSoft HCM to Oracle HCM Cloud?
Not to be critical of the PeopleSoft HCM product, it is a quality product, with a very successful history that has been around for a very long time and has done a good job “keeping up”, adding feature functionality every year since being acquired by Oracle in 2005. Their Fluid UI made the user experience better, they came up with a better way for customers to adopt releases and patches through PeopleSoft Update Manager and they have committed to supporting customers through 2030 and beyond. It’s important to recognize that PeopleSoft HCM is a viable solution, however, there are some very good business reasons for PeopleSoft customers to seriously consider moving to the Cloud and while the process of migration may seem challenging, maintaining a legacy system that utilizes resources inefficiently and fails to meet current and future needs presents a number of challenges as well.
For comments, questions, or suggestions for future topics, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our blog regularly for new posts about Cloud updates and other Oracle Cloud Services such as Planning and Budgeting, Financial Consolidation, Account Reconciliation, and Enterprise Data Management. Follow Alithya on social media for the latest information about EPM, ERP, and Analytics solutions to meet your business needs.