EPM Cloud Planning Essentials: Hybrid Block Storage Option (BSO)
Hybrid BSO allows for some of the Aggregate Storage Option (ASO) functionality in BSO Essbase. ASO database supports large-scale dimensionality with sparse data models. The ASO configuration provides optimal reporting and aggregation of such data models. Click here for more information on ASO.
Hybrid BSO in EPM Cloud Planning brings together the best of both worlds.
Figure 1 - BSO, ASO and Hybrid BSO
At the time of this writing, all new EPM Cloud subscriptions, Standard or Enterprise subscriptions of applications that have Essbase BSO databases, have Hybrid BSO enabled as a default configuration. However, there are steps required to enable Hybrid BSO for legacy EPM Cloud subscriptions. Currently only the following legacy subscriptions can enable Hybrid BSO -
- Oracle Enterprise Planning and Budgeting Cloud subscriptions (EPBCS)
- Oracle Financial Consolidation and Close Cloud subscriptions (FCCS)
- Planning and Budgeting Cloud Service Plus One option license (PBCS)
Gleaning through documentation, through our team’s experience in the field, and based on our discussions with Oracle product management, it is understood that the Hybrid BSO enablement for legacy EPM Cloud subscriptions have certain pre-requisites. Pre-requisites and design considerations for Hybrid BSO enablement are as follows –
Legacy EPM Cloud Essbase Version
The key prerequisite to convert an underlying BSO to Hybrid BSO is its Essbase version. Most of the EPM Cloud subscriptions today either are on Essbase version PS4 or 5xx. In order to enable Hybrid BSO, it is essential for the EPM Cloud application to be on Essbase 5xx version. At the time of this writing, the 20.03 version of EPM Automate is available and the epmautomate recreate command provides a self-service mechanism to upgrade Essbase to the 5xx version. However, a service request needs to be logged with Oracle prior to executing the recreate command. Oracle will promptly let the subscriber know of their current Essbase version. If the subscriber is already on the 5xx version, the reader can jump to next section.
Application Pre-Requisites and DesignConsideration
- Planning Applications
- If the current legacy application converting to Hybrid BSO is a standard or reporting application, it needs to be converted to Enterprise mode.
- The Hybrid BSO application must be created newly and in that manuallye., all artifacts of dimensions, forms, calculation manager rules etc. need to be built manually.
- The newly created Hybrid BSO enabled application will need to consider Hybrid BSO Essbase implications to the design.
- You cannot migrate the Hybrid BSO converted application to another environment that is not Hybrid BSO enabled.
- If a planning application has a Hybrid BSO and ASO plan type in use, make sure the upper-level members of dynamic dimensions in BSO are tagged as Never Share data storage, and not Dynamic Calc as they are tagged in the BSO plan type.
- Limit Dynamic Calculation data storage for members in data forms, even for dense dimensions. The upper-level members perform much better in Hybrid BSO with Never Share of Dynamic Calc and Store data storage.
- Consolidation and Close Applications
- Essbase conversion and application recreation design considerations are like Planning applications.
For comments, questions, or suggestions for future topics, please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit our blog regularly for new posts about Cloud updates and other Oracle Cloud Services such as Planning and Budgeting, Financial Consolidation, Account Reconciliation, and Enterprise Data Management. Follow Alithya on social media for the latest information about EPM, ERP, and Analytics solutions to meet your business needs.